The school was founded in 1939, and was originally named Egerton Farm School. It was established by a large land grant of 740 acres (3 km²) by Maurice Egerton, 4th Baron Egerton of Tatton.
Egerton University has three (3) Campuses and one Campus College. The main Campus is based at Njoro and houses the Faculties of Agriculture, Arts and Social Sciences, Education and Community Studies, Engineering and Technology, Environment and Resources Development, Science and Veterinary Medicine and Surgery. The Njoro Campus also houses the Board of Undergraduate Studies and Field Attachment, and the Board of Postgraduate Studies. The other Campus is the Nairobi City Campus, offering programmes from the Faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Commerce, and Education and Community Studies. It also hosts the African Centre for Distance Education (ACDE). The third Campus, Kenyatta Campus, is located five (5) kilometres from Njoro Campus and is planned to house the Open and Distance Learning (CODL) programmes which is currently based at Njoro Campus. The only University’s Campus College, Nakuru Town Campus College, hosts the Faculties of Commerce and Health Sciences. The University currently has nine (9) faculties and fifty one (51) academic departments offering a wide range of programmes at diploma, undergraduate, and postgraduate levels. All of them are open to both Government-sponsored and selfsponsored students. The University also offers courses in computer literacy, computer repairs and maintenance, as well as accounting and bridging courses.